FETTUCCINE WITH PEAS, ASPARAGUS AND PANCETTA
- 12 ounces fettuccine or penne
- 3 ounces pancetta or bacon, chopped
- 1-1/4 pounds of asparagus, trimmed, cut on diagonal into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups shelled fresh green peas, blanched 1 minute in boiling water, drained, or frozen peas (do not thaw)
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced, white and pale green parts separated from dark green parts
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese plus additional for serving
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon peel
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley, divided
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil, divided
Cook pasta in pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup pasta cooking liquid. Return pasta to pot.
Meanwhile, cook pancetta in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer pancetta to paper towels to drain. Pour off all but 1 teaspoon drippings from skillet. Add asparagus to drippings in skillet; saute 3 minutes. Add peas, white and pale green parts of green onions, and garlic; saute until vegetables are just tender, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat. (Here I put my pasta bowls in the microwave to warm before plating.)
Add vegetable mixture, 1/4 cup pasta cooking liquid, dark green parts of green onions, 1/2 cup Parmesan, cream, olive oil, lemon juice, lemon peel, half of parsley, and half of basil to pasta. Toss, adding more cooking liquid by tablespoonfuls if needed. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Transfer to large bowl. Sprinkle pancetta, remaining parsley, and basil over. Serve adding additional Parmesan cheese.
Prep 40 minutes Total 40 minutes
Calories 559 Fat 18g Fiber 8g
This recipe easily converts to two servings although I liked it so much I wish I had made the entire thing, so I could have eaten it again the next day. I reduced the pasta to two ounces per serving and used half and half instead of cream reducing calories and fat.
Life is good-enjoy!