Thursday, September 8, 2011

Salmon Tartare

My fascination with all things small began several years ago when I purchased Hors d'Oeuvre at Home With The Culinary Institute of America. A beautiful book of essential techniques and recipes for creating great small bites. This is my go to book when I feed my friends.  I have also found some beautiful recipes for appetizers in "Bon Appetit Magazine". In May of this year they had a simple recipe for salmon tartare.  I have eaten tuna tartare but not salmon. What really caught my eye for this dish is that they suggest you serve it with thick-cut potato chips.

Salmon Tartare
Prep: 40 minutes  Total: 40 minutes
4 servings
Use the freshest wild or farmed salmon for this dish. Chilling it in the freezer for 20 minutes makes it easier to dice.

Ingredients:

  • 1 - 8oz. boneless salmon fillet, skinless
  • 1/4 cup finely diced, seeded cucumber
  • 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
  • 1-1/2 tsp. minced fresh chives
  • 1-1/2 tsp. minced fresh cilantro
  • 1-1/2 tsp. grapeseed or vegetable oil
  • 1-1/2 tsp. minced, seeded jalapeno
  • 1-1/2 tsp. minced shallot
  • 3/4 tsp. minced peeled fresh ginger
  • 1/2 tsp. Asian sesame oil
  • 1/4 tsp. (scant) lime zest
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • Thick-cut potato or tortilla chips
Directions:
  1. Place salmon on a plate; freeze until well chilled, about 20 minutes
  2. Thinly slice salmon lengthwise into 1/8" wide sheets. Cut each sheet into 1/8"-long strips. Cut strips crosswise into 1/8" cubes. Place salmon in a medium bowl. Add cucumber and the next 9 ingredients and toss to combine. Season tartare to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer tartare to a bowl and serve with chips.
This tartare is really addictive and the chips are ridiculously good. This is chips and dip all grown up. The next time I make this I'm not sharing.

Life if good - enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers