Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Ahh Cake!



I am currently reading I Loved, I Lost, I Made Spaghetti written by Giulia Melucci. 

ref=sr_1_4.jpg

This hysterical book is about failed romances and successful cooking.  Giulia supplies the reader with plenty of laughs and fabulous sounding recipes.  I read about this book from blogger Erin at http://erincooks.com Erin also a cook and lover of all things pink shared Giulia's recipe for Hot Pink Cake which according to Gulia was lifted from a Hershey's cocoa can!

For the Cake
2 cups sugar
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cups cocoa powder (the better the quality, the better the cake; I used Ghirardelli but Hershey's is fine)
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, left out of the fridge for about 30 minutes
1 stick of butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 cup whole milk ( I used skim because the grocery store only had a gallon of whole)
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup boiling water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. (I try to reduce my carbon footprint by not turning on my oven until I am halfway through the  recipe.) Generously butter and flour two 8-inch baking pans and line with parchment paper.

In a large mixing bowl, stir together the dry ingredients.  Add eggs, butter, milk, and vanilla and beat at medium speed for 2 to 3 minutes, until all ingredients are combined and the cocoa bits are smoothed out.  Stir in the boiling water. (Do not panic - this batter will look way to thin.) Pour batter into pans and bake at 350 degrees until a cake tester comes out with moist crumbs, 30 to 35 minutes.  Cool 10 minutes in pans, then transfer to cooling racks.  Wait until the cakes have cooled completely before frosting.

For the Frosting
1 stick very soft butter
1 pound confectioners' sugar
3 to 4 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
A little too much red food dye

Mix all ingredients with an electric mixer at low speed until creamy.  Add more milk if necessary.  The trick is for the icing to be not too thin and not too goopy.

Check out my results:



This cake is rich, dense and delicious.  Can be made into 24 cupcakes. If you aren't having a party slice into individual portions, wrap in Glad Press and Seal and freeze.  Life is good - enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the blogosphere! My mouth is watering as I read about the cake. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Followers