Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Romaine Salad with Oranges and Red Onion






I love a good orange.  I don't ever remember eating a bad orange when I was a child. I used to eat so many that the acid from the juice would make my chin and lips raw.  Santa Claus always put an orange in my Christmas stocking. Over the years oranges have not been my favorite. Most seem dry and flavorless.  Maybe we only ate oranges in season where today we eat them year round. In 2009 oranges have been back on my grocery list.  I haven't eaten a bad one.  I was delighted that Giulia Melucci, author of I Loved, I Lost, I Made Spaghetti, has given me a new way to eat an orange. This salad is light, healthy and quick to make.



Romaine Salad with Oranges and Red Onion

1 head romaine lettuce
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced and cut into 1-inch strips
2 navel oranges
1 tablespoon olive oil
Splash of red wine vinegar
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.

Wash and dry a head of romaine lettuce and cut the leaves crosswise into 1-inch pieces.  Put them in a bowl with room enough for tossing and add the onion. Remove the stem ends of the oranges, then take off the skins with a paring knife. Cut into slices 1/4 inch thick and then cut the slices into quarters, removing any seeds and startlingly obvious white pith. Dress and toss the salad with olive oil, red wine vinegar, a little salt, and freshly ground pepper.
Yield: 4 servings

We ate this salad last night at dinner.  Next time I may sprinkle a bit of ground flax seed, over the top, to ramp up the Omega 3's. Life is good - enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers