Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Grilled Lime-Curry-Rubbed Hanger Steak With Fresh Melon-cucumber Chutney



Gourmet Magazine published a recipe for a grilled lime-curry-rubbed hanger steak with fresh melon-cucumber chutney in their June 2009 issue.  I thought it would be perfect for a hot summer night mixing the richness of the steak with the coolness of the chutney. I knew I would have a problem finding the hanger steak, so I began my search by calling my local Marsh Supermarket. I spoke with the butcher who informed me that they didn't carry it, but I could probably fine it in a Mexican or Oriental (did he really say Oriental?) market. I immediately wondered if Marsh was no longer carrying beef from outside the US now that all meat has to be labeled with it country of origin. From there I called The Fresh Market who said they did indeed carry hanger steak. When I arrived the steak couldn't have been more than a quarter of an inch thick. Since the recipe specified hanger steak that was an inch thick I opted for skirt steak. A tougher cut that I ended up marinating, for a couple of hours,  in a mixture of honey, red-wine vinegar, garlic, soy sauce and olive oil. This would be a great meal to have with company. You can make the chutney several hours in advance and the steak takes less than 10 minutes.


Picture lifted from Gourmet Magazine

Grilled Lime-Curry-Rubbed Hanger Steak With Fresh Melon-Cucumber Chutney
Serves 4 to 6

Chutney
2 cups chopped firm-ripe honeydew melon (10-oz.)
1/2 seedless cucumber, peeled and chopped (about 3/4 cup)
1/2 cup chopped red onion
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 to 2 teaspoons minced fresh jalapeno including seeds
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1/4 teaspoon cumin

For Steak
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon curry powder
2 pounds (1" thick) hanger steak or chuck blade steaks

Make Chutney:
Stir together honeydew, cucumber, onion, lime juice, cilantro, jalapeno, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Sprinkle with spices and let chutney stand while grilling steak.

Grill Steak:
Prepare a gas grill for direct-heat cooking over medium heat; stir together lime juice, oil, curry powder, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper.  Coat steak with curry mixture.
Oil grill rack the grill steak, covered, turning once for 9 minutes total for medium-rare. Let rest on a cutting board 5 minutes, then slice thinly across the grain. Serve with chutney.

I found an heirloom tomato at The Fresh Market and made a caprese salad and jasmine rice to serve with the steak. Life is good-enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers