Thursday, July 2, 2009

Grilled Salmon With Fruit Salsa





I am a charter subscriber to a cooking magazine called Cuisine. The first issue hit my mailbox in January of 1997 and have continued ever since. I adore this magazine. It has wonderful recipes that are developed around seasonal ingredients and shows the home cook cooking techniques necessary to be successful.  The May/June 1997 issue had a recipe for Grilled Salmon with Fruit Salsa that has become a staple in my household. I have also been served this exact recipe in restaurants.

Grilled Salmon
(Serves 4)
Work Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes

CUT & SKIN INTO FOUR 5OZ. PORTIONS:
1 fillet of salmon

DIP IN:
1 cup maple syrup
2 T. cracked peppercorns

GRILLING STEPS:
When the grill is very hot, put the salmon on at a 45 degree angle.  Then rotate it 90 degrees after it is cooked 1/4 way through for great grill marks. Halfway through cooking, flip the fish, keeping a 45 degree angle to the grill.  You'll rotate it again for the last bit of cooking to finish grill marks. Doneness can be checked with a thermometer. 130 degrees is optimal.
Grilled Salmon - Note Mike's Beautiful Grill Marks

Fruit Salsa
(Makes 2 Cups)

MIX TOGETHER:
1/2 cup cantaloupe, diced
1/2 cup fresh pineapple, diced (I have used canned with great results)
1/4 cup red bell pepper, diced
1/4 cup yellow bell pepper, diced
1/4 cup red onion, diced
1 1/2 T. lime juice
1 T. light brown sugar, packed
1 T. fresh mint leaves, minced
1 T. jalapeno pepper, minced
1/2 t. kosher salt
1/4 t. lime zest, minced
Salsa

All the peppers should have their ribs and seeds removed.
Refrigerate until the salmon comes off the grill.  Garnish the salmon with the salsa

I usually only make two pieces of salmon unless we are having company, but I always make the entire batch of salsa and we tend to eat it all.  Life is good - enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. You know, all these years later, I still use the fruit salsa recipe. I adore it too. Oh your blog is lovely. Makes me miss our Friday nights in Memphis...

    ReplyDelete

Followers