Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Mock Lobster Bisque or Langostinos If You Please!



Langostinos have been in my life since I was eighteen years old. I used to eat them drenched in butter at our local Red Lobster in Knoxville, TN. I thought I was so sophisticated ordering the "fancy" fish from the "fancy" restaurant. I smoked cigarettes and ordered Bahama Mama's a frozen blend of tropical fruit flavors mixed with Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum and topped with a splash of Myers's dark rum. They still serve them today.


Bahama Mama's


I still have fond memories of Red Lobster. It was one of the first big full service restaurant chains that I remember. They had bars on the porches where you stood and smoked and drank while you waited for your table - I was cool - I was eighteen!


Wikipedia defines the langostino, when used in the restaurant trade, "...as the meat of the squat lobster, which in neither a true lobster nor a prawn. It is more closely related to porcelain crabs and hermit crabs." I rediscovered langostinos tails at my local Trader Joe's. They come frozen in a 12 oz. package. 

Langostino Tails from Trader Joe's


While they don't quite compare with my old memories, a bit more tough, dense and watery from the deep freeze I did discover a way to prepare them that takes less than 30 minutes.


I lifted this recipe from reliableanswers.com written by Annette M. Hall. I adjusted the amount of langostino meat to match the package that came from Trader Joe's.


Mock Lobster Bisque


Ingredient List:


12 ounces of langostino meat

1/3 cup dry sherry

1/4 cup butter

3 tablespoons flour

3 cups milk (I use skim)

1 teaspoon steak sauce

Salt to taste

Pepper to taste

Seasoned salt to taste


Preparation Guide:


In a small bowl, combine langostino meat and sherry; set aside.


In a medium sauce pan melt butter over low heat. Blend in flour and cook, stirring constantly, until smooth and bubbly. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly.

Continue cooking and stirring until mixture is thickened; stir in steak sauce, salt, pepper and seasoned salt. Add langostino meat and sherry mixture; cover and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Makes 4 cups.



A salad and a loaf of crusty bread completes this meal nicely. Life is good - enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers